The premise of social media is all about fostering interaction. There are no fancy tricks to learn. Using social media is about compelling people consistently to engage with you and then share your content. This is the main purpose of social media and it applies across every network. There is no secret formula necessary in order to become a social media success story, all you need is compelling human interaction.
What does compelling human interaction mean? The exact definition depends on your website or blog, but generally speaking it means that you want to involve people in a conversation that is related to your topic. It is really nothing more complicated than this.
The key to social media is being social. By pure definition, social media should be a two way street. If someone is commenting on your posts, take the time to comment back. You should be having conversations with the people who are following you.
Boost Your Brand Through Social Media Engagement
Many social media enthusiasts are simply obsessed with the number of followers or likes that they get on their posts as much as they are with the amount of traffic their website or blog receives. In reality, these numbers do not have much to do with the true metrics of being successful.
Instead of focusing solely on the number of new likes that you get, you should focus on the number of people who are commenting on and then sharing your content. This is the true measure of engagement. When more people are engaging with your content the more likely they are to share it, which will increase your exposure.
This is why the “Boost Your Branding Through Social Media infographic from Crestline below is so helpful! It provides some useful stats to consider as you build your social media strategy.
Here are just a handful of my favorite stats cited:
- 48.2% of Baby Boomers use social media daily. This means, if Baby Boomers are your target audience, you must consider marketing tactics outside of social media if you want to reach a wider audience.
- 80% of online companies think they deliver exceptional social media service, while only 8% of their customers agree. Only 8%?! This leave a huge opportunity for your company to deliver a better customer service experience via social media.
- Pinterest posts have the longest lifespan of any social media network.
- 80% of social media B2B leads come from Linked. This means, if you are a B2B company, you should be using LinkedIn.
- 51% of consumers unfollow brands on social media due to irrelevant content. This is a biggie! You need to be posting useful, non spammy content that is related to your business.
Check it out for yourself!
This infographic was created by Crestline, a PPE supplier
No matter how much advice you read about engaging your users, it will pale in comparison to the effectiveness of doing what you think is right for your readers, measuring how impactful it is and then adjusting your techniques accordingly.